Automation is the use of control systems and information technology to reduce the human work in the manufacturing process of goods and services. Automation is not only used in manufacturing industries but it is applied in many industries like banking sector in which the automated teller machines are used. In the telecommunication industry, telephone operators are replaced by automated telephone switch boards. In the medical industry with the help of automated systems processes like radiography, laboratory analysis of human genes, sera, cells, and tissues are carried out at much greater speed and accuracy. Home automation made the lives of the residential dwellers by increasing the automation of house appliances.
Advantages of using automated systems are given below:
- The main advantage of these systems is, they replace and protect the humans working in dangerous environments such as fire, volcanoes, nuclear reactors, etc.
- Replacing the humans in the tasks that involve hard physical or boring work.
- These automation system also performs the works which can’t be performed by the humans in terms of size, weight, speed, endurance, etc.
- They also performs the tasks at greater speeds and accompany in the development of organization or country or wherever it is used.
- They also reduce the lead times, reduce handling, improves work flow, improves morale of workers in the manufacturing process of goods or services.
- Automation also increases product quality, out put and reduces the costs.
- Automation also provides an insight in to the manufacturing process and it helps to find out the problematic areas in the manufacturing process.