Rain barrels saves rain water and this stored rain water can be used for all forms of lawn care, gardening, washing cars and windows etc. A rain barrel approximately can save 1,300 gallons of water to a home owner. In this way, rain barrels lowers the usage of house hold water. So, it is advised to every one to have a rain barrel in their home to save rain water.
Following are the steps involved in constructing a double rain barrel:
- First step in making a double rain barrel is to make a hole on the top of the screen of the rain barrel. Aark a space in the center of the top of the barrels about 6 inches by 6 inches with the help of a spade bid.
- Mark and cut upper drain holes and make these holes in such a way that overflow is to be in relation with lower drains.
- Third step is to make and cut the lower drain holes and these holes are made at one inch above the end of the curvature at the bottom rim of the barrels using a hoe saw. Use Teflon tape to wrap the threads of PVC male adapters and seal these threads with water proof sealants. Screw the adapters into the threaded lower drain holes, let them sit and dry for 24 hours.
- Insert the threaded male couplings in to the barrels, fit the barbed female fittings onto the threaded couplings from the outside of the barrels. Seal the whole thing with silicon and attach 5-foot sections of drain hose to upper fittings.
- Assemble shutoff valve assemblies and tighten the hose couplers onto the shutoff valves. Wrap the threads of the shutoff valves with Teflon tape and apply waterproof sealant and let them dry for 24 hours.
In this way you can build your own double rain barrel, to save rain water.