Out of the many accidents that happens on the roads, accidents caused by unskilled or new drivers is quite a considerable figure. They lack experience of driving on the roads hence they must be careful while driving on the road. Due to lack of experience of being behind the wheel, they do not know the response time of their vehicle in response to their actions. They need to get slow and gradual experience on the roads. Most of them, being new are either confused or are overexcited brimming with self confidence. They need to understand and interpret the situation clearly and crisply before taking decisions on the road. They should take decisions that are governed by logic, practicality and concern of others on the road.
Guidelines for new drivers
Most major or minor responsibilities in life comes with guidelines. Getting driving skills is one of them. It is a responsibility and a driver owes a lot of responsibility to self and other people on the road. Safety is one of them. Hence it also comes with certain guidelines.
- A beginner must always obtain a learner permit before he gets on the wheels on the road. The driving permit gives him legal right to drive a vehicle on road. It is testimony to the fact that he is mentally and physically competent to drive a vehicle. A learner must put a warning sign on visible places on his vehicle indicating that he is a learner. This way the other drivers on the road will be aware of this fact and be cautious of your vehicle.
- New drivers must restrict their drivers till training zones and traffic free areas till they get enough expertise to hit the roads. Even after hitting the roads, they should not take things for granted and remain alert. A new driver should be very thorough with the safety rules and road signs. He is expected to respect these rules and take actions as expected by the rules. This is in the benefits of the driver and other people on the road.
- New driver must always learn defensive driving. It is a driving that aims at interpreting the situations correctly and taking correct decisions regardless of the mistakes done by the other drivers. It saves life, time and money.
- Cars and other vehicles comes with certain safety features like seat belts and air bags. The beginner must ensure that he restrains himself with the help of seat belt and makes sure that the safety systems are at place and working properly.
- As he is new behind the steering wheel, he should nor resort to feats and stunts in a way to impress others. This puts the life of himself and other people on road in danger. Similarly, he should avoid distractions like using phone and eating and should not drive if drunk or drowsy.
- He is expected to show high regards for personal safety and safety of other people and vehicles on the road.
Beginners should be made aware of the road safety practices and their importance. Such programs can produce a class of drivers who are aware of the importance of road safety and show mutual concern for each other. This can lead to a better tomorrow with roads seeing less of the accidents and more of life.