It is often seen that many people fear of having root canal treatment because of many myths that it is painful, expensive and so on. However, it is important and necessary to have the treatment in order to reduce the pain associated with it. Certain care and maintenance has to be taken after the root canal treatment. Though treated, the pain stays for some time may be for a few days or weeks after the root canal treatment. Simple measures help you in getting relief from this pain. Have a look on some of them.
- Gum swelling and swelling of face at the area of treatment causes severe pain. You can reduce it by placing an ice pack on the surface for every 10-15 minutes.
- Use an over-the-counter pain like ibuprofen to minimize the pain. The dentist even suggests a particular course of antibiotics for pain. Ensure that you use them regularly.
- You can try a numbing gel to get relief from the pain. However, it should not be used excessively.
- Ensure that you take only soft food. Avoid any type of hard food items as they may irritate the area and cause pain.
- Also, avoid smoking and alcohol usage as they may irritate the treated area and cause pain.
Mostly, the pain gets reduced if you follow the above things. But, if the pain is not relieved for a long time, then go to your dentist to find the reason and get appropriate cure. This is because any earlier infection or faulty treatment process may retain the infection in the pulp causing much pain.